Gamma Puerto Rico is the AOA chapter of the Universidad Central del Caribe SoM. Dr. Raúl Marcial Rojas, a prominent pathologist in Puerto Rico, founded the chapter in 1992 with the purpose of acknowledging the students and faculty who excel in academia, leadership and community service.
The first chapter councilor was Dr. Stanley Ascencio, who was the first OBGYN in Puerto Rico to perform an Intrauterine Fetal Transfusion. Currently, Dr. José G. Rodriguez is the Gamma PR councilor.
AΩA’s mission statement
Alpha Omega Alpha—dedicated to the belief that in the profession of medicine we will improve care for all patients by:
- recognizing high educational achievement
- honoring gifted teaching
- encouraging the development of leaders in academia and the community
- supporting the ideals of humanism and
- promoting service to others.
Criteria for selection
- Top one-sixth of the total number of the class expected to graduate may be elected to membership.
- Scholastic achievement should be the primary but not sole basis for election of a student. Leadership capabilities, ethical standards, fairness in dealing with colleagues, potential for achievement in medicine, and a record of service to the school and community at large should be criteria in addition to the academic record.